Monday, June 06, 2005

Willie the Clown wins a Tony....

I am so proud of him....I knew Bill Irwin as Willie the Clown circa 1977.
I took clown class from him and loved the Pickle Family Circus shows and Bill's Vaudeville shows, one man shows....He is really a gifted and wondefully warm man.

A few months ago,Public TV had an hour special on him,(yes, he is that interesting) and I got his email and just wrote him and he responded.

I am so happy for him. I can't wait till I go to New York this September.
I have to see the show...... The following is from an email from his fan club, I just got this morning....

Bill Irwin has been awarded the Tony as Best Performance by a Leading Actor in a Play for his work in 'Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?'.This is his first Tony Award as an actor. Bill was previously nominated for his work as an actor, choreographer and director for
LARGELY/NEW YORK in 1989. He and David Shiner together received a
special Tony Award for a Live Theatrical Presentation in 1999 for FOOL
MOON.

3 Comments:

Blogger Miz said...

I always loved Bill Irwin when he did "the Swinger". The guy who couldn't stop himself from dancing to Shake Your Groove Thing.
I read that his Chiropractor suggusted he stop doing that bit.

12:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where can I get a copy of Bill Irwins and SNL "Shake Your Groove Thing." The best. I would pay big bucks to get a copy. Funniest thing I've ever seen. Hysterical.

9:04 AM  
Blogger Mesha Provo said...

It's funny that 3 years later after this post, that some one asks a question.
In regards to Bill Irwin, google his fan club and question them, I think it would be the best lead.
He may have a tape from PBS or some one from the San Francsico Bay Area may have a copy. He has had and still has a big following there. Check Craig's List or post a listing in San Francisco for it.
I didn't know he did it on SNL.
Just this morning, we had Sesame Street on for the grandkid, and there was Bill doing a character.
Good Luck.

10:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home