Monday, April 04, 2005

Bright eyed clown of the garden


Harlequin Flower Posted by Hello

Sparaxis Tricolor is a native to South Africa and it is closely related to ixia. I must have bought the corms one year, but I don't remember any of the details.
Early each spring, these bright little rascals pop up in the garden.
I have a patch of them at the fish pond and another one above the cat sculpture, mixed into the Mexican Sage. I really have to cut back the Mexican Sage, each winter to give this flower a chance to delight me again.

I do have a gardening fault. I over plant. I will forget that a certain spot already has bulbs and I will plant seeds or overplant with a larger plant. It's not a horrible things, it's just that it's not fair to the original plant. So the Harlequin flower does have to work hard to get noticed in the garden. He does a great job, like a clown in a room full of monkeys.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home